As an environmentally friendly business, DAE is interested in helping other businesses achieve LEED certification. Basic information about the LEED certification process can be found below or at the US Green Building Council’s website.
USGBC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that certifies sustainable businesses, homes, hospitals, schools, and neighborhoods. USGBC is dedicated to expanding green building practices and education, and its LEED® Green Building Rating System™.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
The Green Building Rating System is a nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high performance green buildings. LEED gives building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance. LEED promotes a whole-building approach to sustainability by recognizing performance in five key areas of human and environmental health: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials and resources selection, and indoor environmental quality.
What is the importance of getting certified?
LEED certification provides independent, third-party verification that a building project meets the highest performance standards. The LEED plaque is recognized nationwide as proof that a building is environmentally responsible, profitable, and a healthy place to live and work. LEED-certified buildings:
- are leading the transformation of the built environment.
- are built as designed and perform as expected.
- have lower operating costs and increased asset value.
- are healthy and comfortable for their occupants.
- reduce waste sent to landfills.
- conserve energy and water.
- reduce harmful greenhouse gas emissions.
- qualify for tax rebates, zoning allowances, and other incentives in hundreds of cities.
- demonstrate an owner’s commitment to environmental stewardship and social responsibility.
LEED Accredited Professionals (LEED APs)
LEED Accredited Professionals (LEED APs) have demonstrated a thorough understanding of green building techniques, the LEED Green Building Rating System, and the certification process. The LEED AP program is administered by the GBCI, which was established with the support of USGBC to allow for objective, balanced management of the credentialing program. Members of DAE’s key leadership are LEED APs.